When in Rome...

0 comments
It would be ideal if a person tries to know beforehand some of the cultural differences that could avoid trouble later on. “Be a Roman in Rome,” is a fine piece of advice provided you know how to be a Roman.
It was years ago when I was waiting for a train at the Rome Central Station for a southbound train. Hours of walking in the streets of Rome in hot weather had sapped my strength as I relaxed in the station's cool waiting room.
To make my aching feet comfortable, I removed the shoes and the socks and stretched my legs. I gazed at the peaceful scene with a few passengers waiting for their trains. At the end of the hall was a statue of Virgin Mary with lighted candles in front. I had almost dozed off but when I opened my eyes I found a person gesticulating at me.
I couldn't make out what he was trying to communicate with me. In a few moments, his intentions were clearer as he advanced towards me menacingly with a clenched fist. He was pointing to my feet. It didn't take me long to figure out that my barefeet were the cause of annoyance for that person. I put on my socks and shoes in a hurry and left the place quickly before that angry man approached me.
I realised that my barefeet had upset that man. While we take off our footwear while entering a place of worship a few others demand that shoes should be kept on. While one takes off footwear while entering a temple, mosque or Gurudwara, one has to wear shoes while entering a church.
Who doesn't like to take pictures of exotic places and people? I was on a trail in the Mt. Everest region of Nepal with my daughter. I was clicking away furiously at the mountains, the valleys and the gompas that I could see. Just then a yak caravan made its appearance on the trail. I focussed on the yaks and the Sherpa men and women who were leading the pack. A stone thrown by a young Sherpa girl in the pack nearly hit me. “Hey, you stop!” was the warning as the girl charged at me angrily. I realised I had made a mistake in photographing persons without their permission. I shut the camera and muttered a “sorry” as I beat a hasty retreat and allowed the caravan to pass by. While a few persons react violently if someone takes a picture without their permission, others would like to pose for a photograph willingly while a few others expect something in return, preferably cash for allowing themselves to the photographed. The moral is: Take the permission of strangers before you take a picture.
Those who have attended get-together or a party in the U.S. learn a lesson soon. For the first time at least there is awkwardness, as the host doesn't pamper the guests. Food and drinks are kept on the table and anyone could just go there and help himself or herself. There is no ‘upachara' (hospitality) as in the Indian traditional manner where the host requests the guests to enjoy themselves.
Another matter that is followed routinely while attending a party is the guest takes something or the other to the party — flowers, sweets, wine or a small gift which is either handed over to the host or kept on the table. However, it's up to you whether you want to enjoy a party or not!
(The writer's email id is: dbnvimi@gmail.com)


Post a Comment