An Exclusive Interview with the Woman Legend In the Literary World - Preeti Shenoy

5 comments
Firstly, I would like to begin with the most basic question, how did your journey with the pen begin?
I have always written and drawn pictures, ever since I remember. In school, the margins of my text-books would be filled with doodles and tiny illustrations.

If I did not like the ending a particular story in my text book, I would change it! I also used to take part in all the creative writing contests (apart from many other things which I was equally interested in). As a teen, I had my journals and I would write in them every single day.So my love for writing goes back a long way.


When did you first consider yourself a writer, far from a blogger?

I think all bloggers are indeed writers. Yes, there may be some who are better than others, in their writing.
For me, the first ‘high’ of writing came, when I wrote an article for a local newspaper, and saw my name in print for the very first time. Here I was, doing what I loved, and someone was paying me for it! I was thrilled.



What inspired you to write your first book?
 
My first book is mostly a collection of my blog-posts adapted to suit a book. I was writing mainly for myself to get over the deep grief of losing my father. But surprisingly it found it’s way into many hearts. My posts became really popular. By then I had started writing for Readers Digest, Times of India and a few other publications too. The natural progression of all this was my first book.


What books have highly influenced your life?
 
One of the earliest books I read when I was just nine (yes, I was precocious as a child) was ‘I’m Ok, you’re Ok’ by  Thomas A Harris. That book kind of defined my thinking, as I used to have a lot of dicussions about various things in that book, with my dad. I loved these sessions with him.(This when I was a child). The other books I read as an adult, which made a deep impact on me  are Mitch Albom’s ‘Tuesdays with morrie’ and 'I will not die an unlived life' by Dawna Markova.

 
If you had to choose, which writer would you consider a mentor?

Undoubtedly, Roald Dahl! I worship his writing ability and his way with words. I have read ALL the books he has written—for adults as well as children. And I felt really sad when he passed away. Good Authors should never die!


Are there any new authors that have grasped your interest?

By new, I presume you mean first time authors? I read a lot. But I am not able to zero in on any one name. Usually if an author is successful, it isn’t long before he/she comes out with another book, and then they are not a ‘new author’ anymore!


If you had to do it all over again, would you change anything in you latest book?

Not a single thing! I have worked very hard on this book and am very happy at how it has turned out.



Can you share a little of your current work with us?

It’s a full length fiction, again an unusual story. (Like all my work, which is very different from each other). I won’t be able to share any more details.


Do you have to travel much concerning your books?

For my latest book I did travel to Pune and Delhi (apart from my home base which is Bangalore) for my book events. I will be traveling to Chennai soon. I also have been invited to speak at some colleges. So yes, I do a fair amount of travel for my books.


What was the hardest part of writing your book?
Conceiving the plot and developing the idea and creating realistic characters.


Do you have any advice for other writers?
Keep writing! That way I get to read more books!


Finally, Do you have anything specific that you want to say to our readers (The TeenMag)?

Thank you for buying my books and thank you for the love that you shower on me. I get hundreds of mails from teens, saying how much they love my book, and I am really surprised about it. I think nowadays teens have fare more maturity and intelligence that the teenagers of yesterday, and parents and all those ‘authority’ figures have to understand this and give them credit for it! 


-   Akhil Ramesh
  For The Teen Mag


5 comments:

  1. your new book is extra ordinary FANTASTIC

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are an inspiration to the whole world WOMENS

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice questions editor...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Sagarika for the interview of this wonderful writer. I adore Preeti and I have read her two books. The Latest one 'Tea for two and a piece of cake' inspired me a lot.

    Then I read her second book 'Life is what you make' and that being another wonderful book of her's.

    Preeti Shenoy, if you are reading my comment then I must tell you I am waiting to read your next book which you have already said you are working on. I am also a huge fan of your art.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Medha this interview is not done by Sagarika...

    ReplyDelete