Take that bend as you coast along the highway of Life - Bijoy Joseph

0 comments
I hugged her and kissed her cheeks. Had to bend down though , but
she pleasantly turned her second cheek as tears welled her eyes .
It was a show of uninhibited love . I gave her a pleasant surprise
that morning, as I dropped in unannounced and carrying no gift to
symbolize the deep yearning for each other. All alone in that big
house she’s lost in thought as we sat down recalling earlier days. My
late mother who was her favorite niece, the time when I was a baby
and she’d rocked me to sleep . Draped in the traditional white munddu
& katcha , she always looked that true Syrian Christian Valiammachy ,
a dwindling minority in the erstwhile Travancore of Kerala. The house
wore a deserted look , not quite tidied up with a feeling of isolation.
She spends most of the time alone in the house except when she goes
to church on Sundays or those rare social visits to relations around.

Yes, she was all of 91 , dwindled in size and yet full of grace . The
somber smile did convey thanks to God for this meeting of two
hearts. The long years did bear her down and grown weak. But soon
after she regained her good self and warmed a homely lunch for
me. I couldn’t help but be around her in the kitchen tasting the real
grandmother’s recipes . A helping of kerala fat rice, thoran , made
of greens from her kitchen garden, my favorite red curry fish and two
spoonfuls of spiced buttermilk . While the food was on fire we even
found time to pluck some goodies from the back yard . She used her
specially crafted long stick with a hooked end , to bend down the
branch as I reached for those lovely red berries.

It was time to catch a bus to my destination, to attend a marriage for
which I’d initially set out . But along the way I decided to make this
halt and breathe in the spirit of togetherness and tender love . Here
I ‘ve learned a great lesson in life. That there are moments along
the journey that shouldn’t be missed . That’s even more enjoyable
than reaching our destination. Savor such moments with tender care.
Memories are treasures that none can steal, so etch these indelible
moments in your mind’s eye. I wish there was a third person to
engrave in print this accidental rendezvous. And I’ll always cherish
the quality time with my grand old aunt that was the icing on the cake .
While the wedding symbolized a grand celebration of pomp and glory
that was one of this world, the stopover was certainly out of the
world. We have to just slow down and take that bend as we coast
along the highway of life. Such pauses are uplifting and vital to the
soul . We need to listen to our heart not just our head, to be giving
in to the soulful music that resonates time and again in the hearts
of people around . Not so often comes such an occasion to quietly
celebrate in peace and quiet, God’s abiding grace that transcends age
and youthfulness.

-Bijoy Joseph


Post a Comment