Life of an NRI - Sprutika Battu

0 comments
Joining a university in itself is a big deal - you have to get accustomed to the workload, short deadlines, reading large amounts of material and the writing, writing and more writing!
Other than the academic perspective, you will be away from the comforts and friendships you've been used to all your life.

Without a doubt, freshman year is the most difficult for students who are far away from home - especially when you are 6,656.9 km away from you home town.


Each year, Osmania University's UFRO (University of Foreign Relations Office) receives hundreds of applications from foreign students. Since 1999, Osmania University has been home to students from more than 78 countries.

So what is life like for an NRI on campus? Let as Pooja Rangi to find out.

Where are you from?
I am from an urbanised city called Jeddah in Saudhi Arabia. I went to Jeddah when I was in UKG and I've lived there for about thirteen years. Jeddah is very different from Indian - be it the roads, the mall, restaurants etc.


What kind of changes do you notice in India from the time you left?
I used to come to India during my summer vacation and I was surprised to see changes every year. Price hikes, development in almost every aspect of life, the raise of the population, and the needs of the people started to increase too.


Why did you come to India? Why did you choose to join Osmania University?
The main reason I came back to India was to do my engineering. I came back after finishing my 12
th grade in the International Indian School. We do have tons of good universities back in Jeddah; I wanted to be enrolled in Osmania University as it is a very well known and reputed college.

What's the best part about the campus?

The best part about the campus is its greenery and spaciousness! I mean the University is literally miles and miles, I've been here for one year and I still find new places to hang out. The campus environment gives you a sense of peace and serenity.

What is the best part about classes?

Our professors are highly qualified and it's always a pleasure listening to their lectures. I also like how we have labs in the afternoon, because it's really hard to focus after lunch.

What the worst part of the classes?

Well, we have frequent power cuts that cause a hindrance in our concentration. A few labs are not well equipped.

What's the worst part of being an NRI?

The worst part is that, initially, people have misconceptions that all NRI's are dumb, that we don't study much, work hard, and seem uninterested in studies, but that is wrong! Not all the local students are hard working, but we are always judged quickly. We have to prove ourselves in every single class because people judge us by the way we talk/dress.

What's the best part of being an NRI?

Well, I don't know what the best part is, but most people are nice to you and they try to help you as much as they can. Once people understand that we come to college from other countries for the sole reason of education, they crack us out of the stereotype that they initially mould us into. 


-Team CoolAge


Post a Comment