The Understudy - Rajeev Ranjan

0 comments
How does it feel being in love? Is it an out of the world feeling or is it something tangible. Is it something natural or is it something manmade? How do we recognize that one person in the crowd? Is there some source to identify that person? People say that love is more or less destiny, one’s good charm and it comes looking for you wherever you are. I was waiting for that one person to come and knock at my door. I wished I was alert enough to recognize its tone when it knocks.
In the pristine atmosphere that housed my colony I desperately missed one fellow companion. It’s really boring to stay all alone in this world however pristine that environment may be. I missed someone with whom I could share my thoughts, with whom I could laugh, someone who could make this huge compound a home rather than an amalgamation of concrete; someone who could cook for me and then waited to hear how does that taste; someone who could fight with me for occasional trips to city and someone who could spend my earnings on silly things that attract women. I think I was getting late for that someone. Is she listening?
New batch of recruits had arrived in the campus. After initial acquaintance to the organization one of them will join me as understudy. I wish this time it is a girl because for last four times I was getting only a male understudy. I was busy preparing some reports when someone feebly knocked at the door.
Yessssss! I said without looking up from files.
Hello sir! I am Avantika and I have been assigned to report you. The voice was sweet and the fragrance that swept over the entire room owing to her presence was unique and blissful. I was left mesmerized for a minute. She was beautiful to the core, I think the most beautiful person I had ever met or had ever entered the wide gates of this campus. The flawless radiant skin, nice flowing hairs, beautiful bright eyes and bow shaped lips. Everything appeared to be crafted in leisure. The delicacy with which she carried herself, her soft spoken voice and bright communicative eyes added immensely to her beauty. She woke me out of the hypnotism with two pleasant helloos.
I am your understudy for this project sir. She said taking seat in front of my table, maybe realizing that I may not offer her out of hypnotism. The understudy is supposed to be with you all the time like your shadow. To work on your behalf, prepare drafts, noting and every other thing that is part of your job. She became my constant companion and I became matter of envy for all who saw us together. I had already shed any ounce of ego that might come between a senior and a probabationer. We were seen together at all places whether it was project or no project.
More I came to know her more I started liking her and it was only increasing with each passing day. Her aura had a hypnotic effect on my nerves and they hardly cared to listen what I had to say to them. I was slowly and steadily falling in love with her.
Next two days were supposed to be off on account of week end. I casually mentioned her about taking her to the nearby Radha Krishna temple which was famous for its continuous chants for last few years. To my surprise she readily agreed to the idea even if it meant waking up early out of cozy warm bed on a holiday in the freezing winter season of Dehradun. That gave me a nice feeling, it meant she liked being with me, she cared for my company and also that fire was spread on both sides. Was it too early for me to make predictions? I don’t know but I was highly excited about the whole game plan.
My day started very early, somewhere about 5 O’ clock. I took bath without caring for the temperature; I in fact didn’t feel any cold that day. I was in some other trip and when you embark upon such journeys weather is hardly a concern to bother about. I was at her residence a little short of 6 O’clock. I wondered what she will think of me. Was I crossing the line somewhere? Was I embarrassing her by such stupidities? Probably I was. Before pressing the bell I again thought. Should I, shouldn’t I? I didn’t get an answer. I felt like a cheat who was trying to exploit the innocence and decency of a girl who was behaving sweetly with her senior.
I didn’t press the bell. Kept thinking for some time and then turned back. I was sure she was fast asleep in her warm bed and I was only making her uncomfortable by bothering her at this hour.
“You go late sir!”
I heard Avantika calling me from behind. The smile returned back immediately as I looked back to see her completely dressed and ready for the occasion. I realized she had taken care of offering her prayers as well. She chose to wear a white colored churidars with maroon borders. She cared to keep her hairs neatly tied in a pony though a few strands kept dangling on her fluffy cheeks giving a divine appearance to that beauty. The eyes twinkled with abundance of energy within them and spoke immensely of the excitement she had at the very idea of being with me or probably to visit temple. I couldn’t guess however.
Driving motorcycle to some 30 kms in that freezing cold of north won’t have been this exciting without her warmth that embraced me from behind. She was trying to cover her face behind my back to avoid the chilly winds and I was enjoying every bit of it. The temple had separate enclosures for ladies and gents. We sat differently but I continued to stare at her through the corner of my eye. She had her eyes closed in silent prayers and looked like an angel that had descended from heaven. Was she aware of me staring at her at that moment? I think she was. She was enjoying it as well for I could see a fine line of wrinkles appearing near her lips as if smiling at my behavior.
We stopped at one of the dhabas in between. By then the Sun had appeared and chill had considerable dampened. I didn’t like it though, now there was no reason for her to sit closely when we drive back to the campus. By far it was the best day in my life and I was enjoying it thoroughly.
“Have you seen the ranjeet sagar dam?”
She spoke out of blue and I wondered, why?
No. I said in reply, mysteriously looking into her eyes that were twinkling like a star.
I didn’t say anything further nor did she but as I could make out form her facial expressions she expected something else in reply and looked visibly disappointed. I kept wondering, why? As we headed back home she chose to sit considerably apart and didn’t reply to whatever I asked her. I stopped after some time and we both alighted to stand facing each other.
“Why are you angry, understudy?” I asked her in a slightly demanding tone.
She looked up and said softly. Ranjeet sagar dam is on the other side; she said pointing in the opposite direction. I smiled and so did she and the motorcycle turned to the other direction. She sat very closely to me this time. The speed was slow but heart was beating much faster. I could feel the rhythm of her warm breath and she was breathing very fast.
I wondered whether it was something like love between us or was she merely interested in sightseeing. I couldn’t say anything in reply. I had no answer to it. I think she also didn’t have this answer.
We spent the whole day near the dam. We were still not done with each other. I wanted more and more of her company, I wished the day never ends today, I wished we remain closer to each other like this forever and lost in this ambience of pure love. I wondered what was going on in her mind. I she single as I presumed her to be? It wasn’t likely though, a girl like her can’t remain single. Should I ask her? I kept weighing pros and cons but didn’t dare to ask her that direct question. We slowly descended down the dam to the bike. She didn’t say a word but her skin had a different glow today. She appeared to be contended with herself. The contours that appeared on her face were indicative of the internal peace she had. I didn’t want to break that. I had no courage to ask something stupid to someone so beautiful, so pious and so natural.
By the time we reached back to the campus it was well past 9 in the evening. She customarily called me in as I dropped her in front of her cabin. I had no courage to do that however. She became adamant and kept requesting till I finally said yes. She went inside to change and prepare some coffee while I busied myself looking closely at her room. The room was neatly decorated with her photos of different age. I liked the collage of photographs the most out of it. She had neatly showcased her growth to womanhood in that. In all the photographs she appeared to be speaking through them aptly using her expressive eyes. I was yet to see someone so beautifully maturing into womanhood.
She tapped me from behind with a cup of coffee in her hand and we both sat at the adjoining couch. She had opened her hairs by now and that added enormously to her glamour. Those flowing hair, the lustful eyes, enticing lips with a tint of red I don’t know how I was able to control myself so far. I wondered what went in her mind at that time. What was she up to? Was she challenging me to take the step? Was it an open invitation of sorts? Thankfully I didn’t do anything, her expressions changed soon and I could she an inquisitive question mark appearing on her forehead.
“Do you have a girlfriend?” she spoke all of a sudden but there was lot of concern in her voice as she said that.
I nodded in negative first and affirmative later.
What does that mean? She was curious to know.
I never had any but I am sure I have one now. I spoke with lot of hesitation but looking directly in her dark, bright beautiful eyes.
I could now see her face shrinking, the glow evaporating and smile fading away somewhere in the background. I was sure that she didn’t like my answer and eagerly awaited me finishing the coffee and moving away.
I got up and headed towards the exit, she followed in tow; head down and expressions sad.
Before opening the door I turned back to say something.
Won’t you like to know who that person is? I asked looking directly in her eyes.
No, she said disapprovingly.
But you know her.
Who, she said. An element of curiosity appeared on her face this time.
I took her hands and kissed them gently. She shrugged and pulled back but it was all half hearted.
I pulled her again.
Who? She said looking in my eyes and sort of pleading to say that it was her.
Who else? I said and hugged her. She almost melted in me and hugged me tightly. I could feel her warmth against my body and continued holding her.
She looked up. There was a smile on her face.
I love you understudy. I said and kissed her head.
I love you too; she said and closed her eyes.
I am no more your understudy, she said after sometime and I smiled back in return.
I was deeply, madly in love with a girl who had given a new Philip to my life which eagerly waited for someone like her for all these years.



Post a Comment