Burning Question - Nikhil Chandwani

0 comments
"Recently, large demonstrations have taken place across Maharashtra protesting the fact that certain political parties, to get majority votes, is finally addressing the issue of  immigration from the North. Certain people are angry that Maharashtra might actually want to protect its own land, might make it harder to sneak into this state and, once here, make it harder (as an  immigrant) to stay indefinitely.
 
Let me see if I correctly understand the story behind these protests. Let's say I break into your home. Then, when you discover me in your house and you demand that I leave. But I say, 'I've made all the beds and washed the dishes and done the laundry and swept the floors; I've done all the hard work you don't like to do. I'm working for your happiness with truth (except for when I broke into your house).
 
According to the protesters, not only must you let me stay, you must add me to your family's insurance plan, educate my children, and provide other benefits to me and to my family (my husband will do your yard work because he too wants to work to keep you happy with truth, except for that breaking-in part).
 
If you try to call the political majorities to force me out, I will call my family and friends who will picket your house carrying signs that proclaim my wrong right to be there.
 
It's only right, after all, because you have an improved home than I do, and I'm just trying to better myself. I'm working to keep you happy and true, um, except for well, you know. And what a deal it is for me!!
 
I live in your house, contributing only a fraction of the cost of my keep, and there is nothing yo! u can do about it without being accused of selfishness, prejudice and being an anti-housebreaker. Oh yes, and I want you to digest my language, although you already understand, so you can communicate with me. Marathi is too hard for me to learn. You should also allow me to vote - in my own language, since I live in your house."
 
Why can't the world see how painful this is? Happens only in India.

-Nikhil Chandwani
Author of national best selling novel, "I wrote your name in the sky and yours and yours too"


Post a Comment